Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Turkey Kale Meatloaf!!

It's just one of those days where a nap sounds good! Not because I particularly need a break from the world, those naps are quite necessary. But just because it's cold and things have been so busy around here lately. It almost felt like Spring was on its way for a few days but the snow decided to grace good ol' Michigan with its presence again. I can't say I am surprised so I am having to learn to appreciate the fact that Winter happens for a reason and the blanket of white snow can look rather pretty outside my window. Alas, I am sitting here with my homemade latte (Starbucks cinnamon coffee, a little brown sugar and steamed milk) writing instead of taking a nap.

I started reading a book called "7 Simple Choices for a Better Tomorrow" by Bob Merritt. I have enjoyed it so far and am learning about how to better live a disciplined Christian life. I hope to discuss it more in the future but wanted to say that it is also helping me to be more productive. For example, I was able to start the week by getting everything done that I had planned for that day. Because of this I have a menu planned for the week and was able to spend time yesterday developing a new recipe as well as modifying another. Today I want to share my recipe for turkey meatloaf with kale. I made turkey kale meatballs not too long ago because I had some kale that needed to be used up and they turned out so well that I was inspired to create this meatloaf recipe.

A few notes before we continue: When it says to finely chop the kale, I mean it. Chop your little heart out until you can't anymore! The smaller pieces will mix better and you won't have those unpleasantly large pieces in one bite. Also, I had some roasted red pepper sauce that needed to be used and thought it would go well with this. Since it is obviously Italian inspired, the typical ketchup topping for meatloaf didn't really seem appropriate. However, if you don't like the extra spice from red pepper sauce or don't want to use it, try marinara instead. You could even add a little dry red pepper flakes to your marinara to give it some kick.

Source

Turkey Kale Meatloaf

 

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 3/4 cups skim milk
  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups kale, finely chopped (about half of a bunch)
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano 
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 slices provolone cheese 
  • Optional: marinara or roasted red pepper sauce to serve over individual portions

DIRECTIONS
  1. First, place the milk and oats in a bowl so that some of the liquid is absorbed in the oats. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350°.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients except the cheese and sauce until well combined. Press into a 1.5 qt loaf pan. Cover with tinfoil and cook for 45 minutes.
  4. Remove foil. Place the cheese slices on top of the loaf. Cook for another 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned. 
  5. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing.
  6. Serve slices with sauce of desired. 
Click here for a printable version

As you may notice, I haven't really changed anything on the blog yet. It is still a work in progress and as I said above, I am learning to be more disciplined which will take time, but I am working on it. Let me know if you've had any successful kitchen adventures lately, I'd love to hear about it!

~Ashley :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment